Shop Safe - Security 101 - Part 2
In the last episode of our Shop Safe series we spoke about how to tell if a website is trustworthy. Today we’ve got some great tips on how to protect your credit card details online. There are three main areas to consider.
- Always use protection.
- Computers are amazing machines. Streams of code direct complex programs in the background of your online experience. Much of it we are never aware of. That is where malicious software can get in and record your activities and send the information back to criminal networks. Make sure you have up-to-date virus, malware and spyware protection on your computer.
- RapidStudio uses and recommends ESET.
- Rely on reputation.
- What are your first impressions of the payment system? Before you enter your credit card details, be sure the online payment system is reputable and secure. PayFast is well renowned in South Africa. If you’ve got doubts when it comes to pay, investigate. Check for reviews, a solid contact and look for scam alerts online.
- RapidStudio use Payfast as a trustworthy, secure payment provider without incident since 2009.
- EFT phone home.
- It’s rare for a reputable online store to accept only Electronic Fund Transfers (EFTs) or bank deposits, they're usually secondary options for the convenience of customers without Credit Cards. Reputable stores use Credit Card for fast and mutually secure transactions. If you’ve never dealt with the store and they are asking for EFT payment into their account, rather first ask if you can pay by Credit Card or think twice. Theft from EFTs is harder to reverse than a Credit Card.
Remember that a wary shopper is a safe shopper.
Shop safe with RapidStudio, and stay tuned for our next blog on cyber security.
Got a question? Get in touch. We’d love to help you out!